1. “How do I find a doctor with a more “holistic” approach? I want nutritional counseling and a more integrated approach to my A-Fib treatment plan.”
You may want to search for physicians who practice Complementary or Integrative medicine, Naturopathic doctors and Registered Nutrition and Dietetic professionals. Professional associations are useful places to start your search. We offer links to online search tools for the U.S., Canada, Australia and the UK.
U.S. organizations with online search tools:
• American College for Advancement in Medicine (ACAM) promotes Complementary and Integrative Medicine and is the premier source for patients looking for an integrative medicine provider. The Physician+Link is accessed by over 30,000 unique visitors each month. ⇒ Use the ‘Physician + Link’ online search tool or call 1-800-532-3688 for help in locating a physician near you.
• The Academy of Integrative Health & Medicine promotes the integration of conventional with complementary and alternative medicine. Besides licensed medical doctors who practice holistic medicine, there are also naturopathic physicians, acupuncturists, chiropractors and massage therapists. ⇒ Use their “Find a Provider” online search to find a provider in your area.
• American Association of Naturopathic Physicians (AANP) association members are graduates of naturopathic medical schools accredited by the Council on Naturopathic Medical Education (recognized by the U.S. Department of Education) with programs leading to the Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine (N.D. or N.M.D.) or Doctor of Naturopathy (N.D.) degree. ⇒ Use the AANP search tools to find an NP doctor near you.
• Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is the world’s largest organization of food and nutrition professionals and is committed to improving the nation’s health through research, education and advocacy. ⇒ Use their ’Find a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist‘ online referral service.
Online search tools for Canada, Australia and the UK:
• Canadian Association of Naturopathic Doctors (CAND) is the national association for qualified naturopathic doctors across Canada. ⇒ For a naturopathic doctor in Canada, use their Find A Naturopathic Doctor online referral service.
• Australasian Integrative Medicine Association (AIMA) represents the doctors and other health care professionals who practice integrative medicine in Australia and New Zealand. (The AIMA directory is currently off-line.) They provide a link to the “Find a Doctor‘ service by the Australasian College of Nutritional and Environmental Medicine (ACEM).
• Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC) is the UK voluntary regulator for complementary healthcare practitioners and has been approved as an Accredited Voluntary Register. ⇒ Use the ‘Search the Register‘ button at the top of their home page, or use this link.
Also see How To Find A Complementary Health Practitioner on the U.S. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM)’s website. You’ll find information and resources about professional standards, training, and other requirements for complementary health practitioners. NCCAM is the US government’s lead agency for scientific research on complementary and alternative medicine.
Last updated: Wednesday, February 4, 2015
Return to FAQ Natural Therapies