Doctors & patients are saying about ''...

" is a great web site for patients, that is unequaled by anything else out there."

Dr. Douglas L. Packer, MD, FHRS, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN

"Jill and I put you and your work in our prayers every night. What you do to help people through this [A-Fib] process is really incredible."

Jill and Steve Douglas, East Troy, WI 

“I really appreciate all the information on your website as it allows me to be a better informed patient and to know what questions to ask my EP. 

Faye Spencer, Boise, ID, April 2017

“I think your site has helped a lot of patients.”

Dr. Hugh G. Calkins, MD  Johns Hopkins,
Baltimore, MD

Doctors & patients are saying about 'Beat Your A-Fib'...

"If I had [your book] 10 years ago, it would have saved me 8 years of hell.”

Roy Salmon, Patient, A-Fib Free,
Adelaide, Australia

"This book is incredibly complete and easy-to-understand for anybody. I certainly recommend it for patients who want to know more about atrial fibrillation than what they will learn from doctors...."

Pierre Jaïs, M.D. Professor of Cardiology, Haut-Lévêque Hospital, Bordeaux, France

"Dear Steve, I saw a patient this morning with your book [in hand] and highlights throughout. She loves it and finds it very useful to help her in dealing with atrial fibrillation."

Dr. Wilber Su,
Cavanaugh Heart Center, 
Phoenix, AZ

"...masterful. You managed to combine an encyclopedic compilation of information with the simplicity of presentation that enhances the delivery of the information to the reader. This is not an easy thing to do, but you have been very, very successful at it."

Ira David Levin, heart patient, 
Rome, Italy

"Within the pages of Beat Your A-Fib, Dr. Steve Ryan, PhD, provides a comprehensive guide for persons seeking to find a cure for their Atrial Fibrillation."

Walter Kerwin, MD, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA

My A-Fib Story at

Lisa S. from Arizona

A-Fib Patient Story #82

Retired Nurse: Over 3 Years A-Fib Free (Husband Had A-Fib, Too)

By Lisa S. from Arizona, October 2015

My name is Lisa S., and I live in Arizona with my husband. We have been happily married for 46 years and we both have had A-Fib. [We hope her husband will also write about his A-Fib experiences.] I write this in the hope that it will help others make proper decisions about their A-Fib.

Healthy Lifestyle But A-Fib Runs in My Family

I am a senior citizen who lives in a healthy manner. Along with my husband, I take care of myself, eat well and exercise regularly. I also try to keep stress out of my life as much as possible.

I would like to mention that A-Fib runs in my family. I have a nephew who had his first ablation at 18 by a pioneer in the field. It took two more ablations for him to be A-Fib free. Now in his 40’s, he feels he is cured. I have a brother and a sister who also have A-Fib.

September 2006: First A-Fib Attack

My first episode started in September 2006 when I woke up at 2 AM with an urgent need to urinate. My heart was beating so hard that I thought it would come out of my chest. My pulse was irregular, I had chest pain and was dizzy. I was anxious and scared.

Reluctantly, I woke my husband and told him I needed to go to the emergency room. Upon our arrival, the medical staff told me I was in atrial fibrillation and would monitor me until I got out of it. In the morning, the emergency room cardiologist decided that he would do a cardioversion to put me back in sinus rhythm. It was scheduled for 1 PM. At 12:50 PM, to my great relief, I went back into sinus rhythm.

I was discharged from the hospital with a pill-in-a-pocket, Flecainide 100 mg, if I got another episode.

Pill-In-The-Pocket Works, Until It Doesn’t

I thought I would be free from other episodes. But 10 months later I woke up at 1 AM again with an urgent need to urinate. My heart was beating out of my chest and my pulse was over 130 per minute. But this time at 1:47 AM I took Flecainide 100 mg and was back in sinus rhythm at 2:15 AM with a pulse of 68.

Keeping a Log or Diary Important

I kept a log of all my episodes of A-Fib and of my symptoms as I wanted to see how often they were happening and their severity. (In the early years, I got only 2 or 3 episodes.)

A-Fib begets A-Fib, and this pattern was happening to me.

I read on the A-Fib website that A-Fib begets A-Fib, and this pattern was happening to me. Keeping careful notes was important to me as a long-retired nurse. Accurate record keeping often helps doctors make a diagnosis.

In August 2009 (while my husband was in the hospital for a successful ablation by Dr. Andrea Natale), I had an episode that night in my hotel room and, later on that week, another one.

There are many patients who write about keeping an A-Fib Diary about their episodes, triggers, etc. Just enter the word “diary” in the ‘Search’ box in the upper right of this page.

Stops Flecainide, Deals with Excessive Urination

In August of 2010, my internist suggested I see another cardiologist who worked closely with Dr. Natale. My new cardiologist stopped my Flecainide because it made me sick during my A-Fib episodes. He prescribed another antiarrhythmic drug, Multaq, 400 mg/day.

My cardiologist instructed me to eat salty foods such as chips and nuts while in A-Fib and drink plenty of water so as not to get dehydrated.

I also wanted to know why I urinated so many times (10-15) during an A-Fib episode. Apparently, when in A-Fib, the “atrial natriuretic peptide hormone” in the atria kicks in and acts as a diuretic to lower the blood pressure and regulate the calcium and salt in the body.

My cardiologist instructed me to eat salty foods such as chips and nuts while in A-Fib and drink plenty of water so as not to get dehydrated. I was also told that my A-Fib episodes were vagal, from the vagus nerve.

A-Fib Progresses and Becomes More Frequent

From October 2010 to February 2012, I suffered 11 episodes of A-Fib with my symptoms getting more severe every time.

On January 7, 2012, during an A-Fib episode, I borrowed my husband’s Holter monitor to record my episode. My cardiologist made me erase it because it was not “my” monitor. I protested and told him it should be recorded.

Finally, he did give me a monitor to wear 24 hours a day for 30 days. As luck would have it, during that period I did not have any episodes.

(Dr. Natale could not believe that my cardiologist had done this. I subsequently got a new cardiologist, Dr. Timothy Marshall, and he is wonderful.)

Back in the Emergency Room

My episode in February 2012 landed me in the hospital. I woke up at 1:00 AM with an urgent need to urinate, palpitations, irregular pulse, dizziness, chest pain and I felt like I was going to pass out.

I went to the emergency room and was unable to convert back on my own, so I was given Cardizem IV, Lovonox and Magnesium 1000 mg to bring me back into sinus rhythm. While giving me these drugs, the “crash cart” was kept outside the room.

May 2012: Ablation Procedure with Dr. Andrea Natale

After that episode, my cardiologist advised me to have an ablation with Dr. Andrea Natale. I had already made an appointment in March 2012 for a consultation. Dr. Natale said I would be a good candidate for an ablation. I was put on Coumadin two months before my May 2012 ablation procedure and stopped taking it 5 months after my ablation. I now take Aspirin 81 mg daily.

On May 18, 2012, Dr. Natale successfully ablated my pulmonary veins. He did not need to do the left atrial appendage.

Participant in Clinical Trial for Contact Force Sensing Catheter

I was also taking part in a random experiment with a Contact Force sensing catheter. This probe helps the electrophysiologist determine the amount of pressure applied on the heart muscle as he uses the radio-frequency heat catheter.

It wasn’t until a year later, that I found out the Contact Force sensing catheter was used on me.

To read more about the Contact Force Sensing Catheter, see my AF Symposium report: The New Era of Catheter Ablation Technology: Force Sensing Catheters.

Three Years After the Successful Ablation

I have been episode-free for over 3 years—knock on wood. I hope I am cured but I do not dare say as I do not want to tempt fate.

I had GERD at the time Dr. Natale performed the ablation. After the ablation, GERD caused chest pain. When I was discharged from the hospital and came home, I started making my own yogurt and, after eating it for two weeks, I felt much better. It is also excellent for the gut.

The only symptom that keeps persisting is waking up once or twice at night with an urge to urinate. I suspect that the “Atrial Natriuretic Peptic Hormone” or “Atrial Natriuretic Hormone” (ANH for short) is still active in the muscle of my heart, since an ablation does not remove the hormone. I discussed this with my urologist recently, and she said it is quite possible because my urine output is quite large for nighttime (I had measured my urine output for a period of time).

If you have A-Fib, do something about it. Do not wait until it takes control of your life. It will not go away!

My Parting Thoughts was a great source of information, and my husband and I are grateful to Dr. Ryan for keeping it up-do-date.  We thank him also for being available when we needed him.

If you have A-Fib, do something about it. Do not wait until it takes control of your life. It will not go away!

If you have questions, please contact Steve Ryan, and he will get in touch with me.

Lisa S.
Arizona, USA

Back to the Top

Return to Patient A-Fib Stories

If you find any errors on this page, email us. Y Last updated: Sunday, March 5, 2017

Related Posts

Follow Us
facebook - A-Fib.comtwitter - A-Fib.comlinkedin - A-Fib.compinterest - A-Fib.comYouTube: A-Fib Can be Cured! -

We Need You Help be self-supporting-Use our link to Amazon is a
501(c)(3) Nonprofit

Your support is needed. Every donation helps, even just $1.00. top rated by since 2014 

Home | The A-Fib Coach | Help Support | A-Fib News Archive | Tell Us What You think | Press Room | GuideStar Seal | HON certification | Disclosures | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy